Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Our Exclusive Interview with AFI

As promised, here is our interview with AFI, conducted over the last week via e-mail. Because of the band's busy schedule, we did not receive replies for all of the questions we sent, but here are the seven answers that we did receive:

AFI News HQ: Beautiful Thieves is rumored to be the next single. Is this true, and do you expect you'll film a video for the song?

Adam: It's true. Beautiful Thieves will be the next single and we plan to shoot a video in the next few weeks. We haven't chosen a director yet and we're still in the process of brainstorming ideas and soliciting treatments. It's a very cinematic song so I expect we have our work cut out to make the video look as grand as the song is. (Editor's note: we received this answer one week ago, well before it had ever been publically stated by the band. Click here for that post.)

AFI News HQ: What has been your favorite moment on this tour so far? Of all your past tours?

Davey: The first thing that springs to mind was the backstage after-show hang at Roseland. So many of my dear friends from both CA and NYC converged, and it was great to spend time with them. Past tours are too numerous to pick a single favorite moment.

AFI News HQ: What are your favorite books and movies from the past decade?

Davey: I'll go with this year because the decade is too much for me to contemplate right now. My favorite film of 09 is 500 days of Summer, and I quite enjoyed Russel Brand's autobiography.

AFI News HQ: If you could pick any venue (any size, anywhere in the world) to play, along with two bands of your own choosing, where would you play, and with which bands?

Jade: I would pick the Cavern Club, circa 1963, with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. I'm not sure how our stuff would go over back then, it'd probably be like that scene at the end of Back to the Future where Michael J. Fox is playing at the prom and he starts shredding and wailing and all the 50's kids, including Biff and George McFly, are just sort of staring in awe and fear.

AFI News HQ: Is there any chance of us hearing any of the Crash Love B-side songs live? Too Late For Gods, We've Got The Knife, etc. On that note, do you think you'll ever play songs such as Reivers Music or Synesthesia live?

Davey: Our catalogue is so vast that it's hard to insert b-sides when there are so many album tracks to play within a set. I wouldn't deem it impossible that we may someday play some of the CL bsides, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Personally I have no interest in doing Reivers or Synthesthsia. I'd much rather do Jack the Ripper or The View From Here.

AFI News HQ: Jade, you talked about writing some new AFI songs on the tour bus. Are these songs thematically similar of different from the songs on Crash Love?

Jade: I actually haven't written any new songs on the AFI tour bus as of yet (although I HAVE written a few Blaqk Audio songs), but thanks for reminding me, I'm going to write a new AFI song today, here in Dallas, on the tour bus. The theme will be significant shredding and a formidable and alarming chord structure.

AFI News HQ: If you had to pick one song that you feel best identifies AFI as a band, what would it be? Pick just one song, please.

Adam: This question is impossible... Maybe Death of Seasons? When deconstructed, it is all over the place musically and vocally has a huge range of emotion. At times it's melodic and at times discordant. It's fast and aggressive and then slow, quiet and moody. And all tied together with a hooky chorus. Kind of trademark AFI stuff really...

That's all. We hope you enjoyed the interview. Obviously, it was a very exciting experience for us. Thanks to all who submitted questions. If we get any more answers, we'll post them here!

16 comments:

  1. What were the other questions they didnt answer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are the four questions they didn't get to (Hunter might answer a couple of these in the future... who knows?)We have heard that there are 2 unreleased songs "Dark Morning Conspirators" and "The View From Here." What can you tell us about the tracks' sound, and will we ever get to hear them?Why have Sacrilege and Darling, I Want To Destroy You not been played live yet?Davey, Crash Love has an absence of screaming or yelling. Is this a choice that you made before the writing process began? Or did you just think screaming vocals wouldn't be appropriate for the lyrics/instrumental section you were writing vocal melodies for. Will we see you screaming in future records? Or do you think that you'll put to rest the harsher vocals from now on?Would you like to put out a live DVD in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This interview was great, but i just want to know from them if them think about play in Brazil next year. We're all waiting!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They soundchecked Sacrilege, and it didn't go well for whatever reason if I remember. & I think the Davey screaming question was answered on Rockline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I LMAO'd at the Back To The Future reference XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see what Davey means.. but a View from here would be boring live, as I really despised the song. I don't think davey really liked the B-sides from Sing the Sorrow too much LOL, he sounded in a bad mood when he said that :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I love Jade's answer to writing songs on the bus. I'm going to hold him to that song!! XDThanks!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I love the idea of DOS being AFI's song. Love it so much. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ryan, no one has heard The View From Here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Upsetting that Davey doesn't care about the stuff like Reiver's and that bunch. It is my favorite, and I wouldn't really care much to hear Jack the Ripper live. I'm surprised we didn't ask about the tin or anything, or that they didn't respond to the two tracks we haven't heard yet. I'm still confused about those, but I'm always a sucker for more, more, more material.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What Davey said about Synesthesia makes me SO sad. I'd so much rather hear Synesthesia over their Jack the Ripper cover.... and several other AFI songs for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always get the feeling Davey doesn't like StS that much. He seems to love Crash Love more than anything else as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reivers and Synesthesia in my opinion are 2 of their BEST songs. I am sad that they will probably never play these live. Everything about these songs are really genuine and emotional. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drew- of course he does. CL is *NEW* and hasn't been played for the last six years.lolAnd I'd die if I ever heard Synesthesia live, kinda sucks that it seems I never will. :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the entire band is kinda tired of the STS shadow they cast over themselves. It's only natural for an artist to like his new work best...otherwise why bother putting it out?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Flash is the only person on this site that consistently has anything intelligent to say.

    ReplyDelete